Deputy Fire Chief Greg Saunders wants to remind people to never try to extinguish a grease or oil based fire with water after another kitchen fire in the city. Crews from Station 3 and Station 1 responded to the most recent kitchen fire yesterday around 4:30pm on Memorial Drive. The tenant of the home was treated for burns she suffered while crews attempted to extinguish the fire. She received further medical attention after she was taken to the hospital.
North Bay Fire and Emergency Services personnel have seen a dramatic spike in the number of kitchen fires recently that have required their attention. Saunders says kitchen fires are the number one cause of residential fires in Canada. He says kitchen fires due to cooking oil or grease igniting into flames cause the fastest-spreading and most destructive type of residential fire.