â–º Listen Live
â–º Listen Live
HomeNewsNew turf field being built at Nipissing University expected to be completed...

New turf field being built at Nipissing University expected to be completed in October

A new turf field is being built at Nipissing University to provide enhanced facilities for students and community members. Construction will begin on the new field in early July, and will be completed in October. The field will replace the existing soccer pitch located next to the Robert J. Surtees Student Athletics Centre. The new field will measure 64m x 100m and is designed in accordance with FIFA standards. It will feature lighting and perimeter fencing and the project has a $2.1million construction budget. Officials say the university will see significant savings on annual maintenance costs with the new turf field, and will be able to utilize the field more effectively. Nipissing estimates annual maintenance on the new field to cost $7,000 while annual maintenance on the existing field costs between $15,000 and $20,000.

President and Vice-Chancellor Dr. Mike DeGagné says this is all about enhancing the experience for their students and providing opportunities for the community. He says the new field will benefit the many students who utilize it for classes and intramural sports, and will also be an advantage for researchers in the Bachelor of Physical and Health Education program. DeGagné says it will be a much-improved home for varsity soccer and lacrosse teams and it will be also be available for youth sports, and adult leagues to attract provincial championships. The previous field posed challenges for organizers because its use was dependent on good weather, and wasn’t often available for student and community use. Varsity games and practices, field-related coursework and intramural sports often had to be moved to a different location to protect the field in wet conditions.

Constant closing of the field also regularly impacted the gym as well, since field classes were moved inside, taking up gym time when students use the indoor facility freely. The turf field can be used in virtually any weather, electrical storms being the exception. Athletics Director Vito Castiglione says it was tough for their varsity teams and fans to be forced to play across town on a regular basis. He says that meant not really having many true home games. Castiglione says they’re really excited for their student-athletes in soccer and lacrosse to be able to play on campus in front of more cheering students and fans.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading