Listen Live
Listen Live
HomeNewsFire safety for frosh students

Fire safety for frosh students

- Advertisement -

Going away to school can be a fun and carefree time for some, but remembering the dangers of fire is important and can be life-saving when moving away from home for the first time.

Fire Prevention Officer Sheri Korn spoke to first-year students recently at Nipissing University, to share the message that fire safety is a shared responsibility. Korn says the leading causes of residential fires are smoking and cooking. These two activities are especially dangerous when combined with alcohol or drug use.

Korn urges the students to make smart choices and to look out after one another. Knowing where the fire exits and fire routes are located should be a priority when moving into a residence or an off-campus apartment.

She also advises off-campus dwellers to check smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors to be sure that they are in good working order. Korn also reminds students that disabling a smoke or CO alarm can result in a fine of $360, but that leaving them intact can double chances of survival in the event of a fire.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -

Continue Reading