News Deputy Chief says there is a serious problem with fires from unsafe cooking in North Bay SHARE ON: Stu Campaigne, staff Friday, Jan. 12th, 2018 Photo credit: NBFES Deputy Fire Chief Greg Saunders says that in North Bay, there is a serious problem with the number of fires that are being caused by unsafe cooking practices. Fire crews responded just after 8:00am Thursday to a structure fire in a four-plex at 344 Worthington Street West. The tenant of one of the units had been upstairs and was alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm. He came downstairs to his kitchen where he encountered a significant fire that had extended to most of the kitchen. The tenant called 911 and exited the building. Fire crews had arrived on the scene in less than four minutes and entered the building and effectively knocked down the fire. Fire Prevention personnel will be inspecting the building to ensure full compliance with the Fire Code. The Deputy Chief reminds residents to remember that cooking with oil is incredibly dangerous. Never leave your kitchen unattended when you are cooking with oil.