News Fire caused by ‘careless smoking’ sends one to the hospital SHARE ON: Stu Campaigne, staff Wednesday, May. 16th, 2018 File photo by Stu Campaigne, Moose FM One tenant has been taken to the hospital by ambulance following a fire that began just after 3:00pm. Deputy Chief Greg Saunders says careless smoking is believed to be the cause of the fire. North Bay Fire and Emergency crews responding to a structure fire that originated in the kitchen of a third-floor unit. All three stations were at the scene of the three-story multi-residential building at 904 Algonquin Avenue. Saunders says all of the other tenants evacuated safely thanks to an early warning from properly maintained fire alarm systems. The Deputy Chief says North Bay Fire personnel were on scene in four minutes. Crews entered the apartment and very quickly and effectively suppressed the fire, containing the damage to just the unit of origin. He reminds that careless smoking is a leading cause of fires and fire fatalities in Ontario. If you smoke, please be careful.