Fire crews responded to a fire in a residential garage at 184 Third Avenue West just before 7:00pm last night.

Fire Chief Jason Whiteley says crews were on the scene in just under three minutes and quickly knocked down the flames within eight minutes.

Whiteley says the neighbours noticed the flames and called in the fire, as the occupant was not home at the time. Fire crews ensured the fire did not extend to the residence and were also concerned that the fire had extended into the attic area of the roof of the garage where there was a heavy load of snow.

The fire is not deemed suspicious and it is believed to have started by an electrical device. Damage is estimated at $15,000.

Due to the nature of the fire, North Bay Fire and Emergency Services is providing the following safety tips:

  • Only use one heat-producing appliance (such as a coffee maker, toaster, space heater, etc.) plugged into a receptacle outlet at a time.
  • Major appliances (refrigerators, dryers, washers, stoves, air conditioners, microwave ovens, etc.) should be plugged directly into a wall receptacle outlet. Extension cords and plug strips should not be used.
  • Check electrical cords to make sure they are not running across doorways or under carpets. Extension cords are intended for temporary use. Have a qualified electrician add more receptacle outlets so you don’t have to use extension cords.
  • Use a light bulb with the right number of watts. There should be a sticker that indicates the right number of watts.
  • Have all electrical work done by a qualified electrician.

Call a qualified electrician or your landlord if you have:

  • Frequent problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers
  • A tingling feeling when you touch an electrical appliance
  • Discoloured or warm wall outlets
  • A burning or rubbery smell coming from an appliance
  • Flickering or dimming lights
  • Sparks from an outlet