Deputy Chief Greg Saunders of the North Bay Fire and Emergency Services says if you are going to smoke, please exercise extreme care to ensure that smoking materials are completely extinguished and discarded properly.

Careless smoking is believed to be the cause of both fires attended to by NBFES this morning.

Saunders says, “At just before 6:00am this morning, fire crews responded to a porch fire at 379 Olive Street. Fire crews from Station 1 were on scene within four minutes and very quickly were able to extinguish the fire thus saving the home from significant damage.

“At 9:00am this morning, firefighters responded to a confirmed structure fire at 2176 Trout Lake Road.  Upon arrival, there was significant fire and smoke in the home.  Firefighters did a terrific job entering the home and successfully extinguishing the fire. Unfortunately, the residence suffered significant damage and the residents will be displaced from the home.”

NBFES reminds residents that careless smoking practices are one of the leading causes of residential fires in Canada and smoking while impaired by drugs or alcohol significantly increases the danger.

First responders on scene at Trout Lake Road residence where structure fire reported. No injuries to humans nor pets but extensive damage.

Posted by My North Bay Now on Friday, April 12, 2019