Nipissing University debate featuring local riding candidates tomorrow
The Education Centre, shared by Nipissing University and Canadore College. (Stu Campaigne, MyNorthBayNow.com staff)
The October 21 federal election is less than four weeks away and Nipissing University will be the site of the first all-candidates debate for Nipissing—Timiskaming.
The Retired Teachers of Ontario, Nipissing University Student Union and Canadore Students’ Council will host the debate this Wednesday from 2:00pm to 4:00pm in the Nipissing University Theatre (Room F213, see map below).
The event is open to the general public.
All candidates have been invited to take part. The participants have been provided with the categories the questions will fall into but not the questions themselves.
The candidates in the October 21 election for Nipissing—Timiskaming are Rob Boulet (NDP), Jordy Carr (CPC), Alex Gomm (Green), Mark King (PPC), and Anthony Rota (Liberal).
The categories and the group asking the questions are as follows:
- Income security (Retired Teachers)
- Pharmacare (Retired Teachers)
- Climate Change (NUSU/CSC)
- Jobs/Education (NUSU/CSC)
Each category will have two questions. There will then be a question asked in French, followed by audience questions.
The schedule is as follows:
- 1:00pm – 2:00pm: Candidates and their campaign teams will answer questions and give out information in Canadore Hallway
- 2:00pm – 4:00pm: Federal Election Debate takes place in the Nipissing Theatre (Room F213)
- 4:00pm – 5:00pm: Candidates and their campaign teams will again answer questions and give out information in Canadore Hallway
The debate is to be moderated by Dr. David Tabachnick, a Nipissing University faculty member in the political science department. The debate will also be recorded by Canadore College and posted online.
To view more details, and the posted recording of the debate, click here.