Listen Live
Listen Live
HomeNewsNipissing University honours memory of student-athlete with scholarship

Nipissing University honours memory of student-athlete with scholarship

Nipissing University has announced a new scholarship to honour the memory of student-athlete Shelby Dickey.

Dickey, who was a member of the Nordic Ski team, passed away after a cycling accident in early September in North Bay.

“Shelby was an extremely hardworking and dedicated individual who brought out the best in others and will forever remain a valued member of the cross-country ski community and Nipissing University,” said Toivo Koivukoski, associate professor and coach of the Nordic Ski Team at Nipissing University.  “The memories of her contagious smile and spontaneous laughter are cherished by all who were fortunate enough to know her as a classmate, teammate, and a friend.”

“We are pleased to be able to honour her memory in this meaningful way,” he added.

- Advertisement -

Officials say the Shelby Dickey Memorial Scholarship will recognize a female member of the Nordic Ski team who demonstrates excellence in athletics, academics, and leadership. Through donations made by Shelby’s friends, family, and the community, the goal is to raise enough money to create an endowed fund that will pay out an annual $500 award to a deserving student in perpetuity.

The first recipient of the scholarship has been announced as Emerson Bach, a third-year biology student and captain of the 2020-21 Nordic Ski team.

To donate to the scholarship, visit Nipissing’s website.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading