The North Bay Society of Architects (NBSA) is looking to help some local students in the form of a scholarship.
Officials say the scholarship was initiated in 2019 and consists of two scholarships for prospective post-secondary architecture students. The first scholarship is aimed at a student pursuing a university degree in architecture and is valued at $1,000. The second is for a student who is taking the college route in the field with courses such as architectural technology or interior design. That scholarship is valued at $500.
“The NBSA is excited to build on the success of last year’s scholarship program,” explains NBSA Secretary Jeff De Decker, Lic. Tech. OAA.
“We’re very pleased to provide financial assistance to the next generation of Northern Ontario architectural professionals,” explains NBSA Chair Nathan Jensen, M.Arch, OAA. “We can’t wait to see the beautiful buildings they design.”
To be eligible for the scholarships, officials say students must be set to graduate from secondary school at the end of the current school year, or have graduated within the last two years. Students must also be graduates of schools located in the NBSA’s region of service, pursuing post-secondary education for the first time, and have proof of acceptance into first-year studies in a relevant program.
Students at the following schools will be eligible:
- Almaguin Highlands Secondary School
- Chippewa Secondary School
- École secondaire catholique Algonquin
- École secondaire catholique Franco-Cité
- École secondaire catholique Élisabeth-Bruyère
- École secondaire publique Odyssée
- F.J. McElligott Secondary School
- Nbisiing Secondary School
- Northern Secondary School
- St. Joseph-Scollard Hall
- Temiskaming District Secondary School
- West Ferris Intermediate and Secondary School
- Widdifield Secondary School
The deadline to apply is 12:00 p.m. June 1.