Listen Live
Listen Live
HomeNewsCanadore receives recognition from CICan

Canadore receives recognition from CICan

Canadore College has received some recognition from the Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan).

The recognition comes in the form of Canadore being named a gold recipient of CICan’s  Indigenous Education Excellence Award.

“The national recognition Canadore received from Colleges and Institutes Canada is a testament to the talent and commitment of our First Peoples’ Centre staff and our Indigenous partners,” said Canadore College President George Burton.  “We have a proud history of collectively moving together to accomplish the goals of our learners, partners, and communities we serve within a framework of shared values and mutual respect.”

College officials say they have developed ongoing initiatives rooted in Indigenous cultural practices and values. They include the Indigenous STEAM program (Science Technology Education Arts and Math) which combines modern technologies with Indigenous cultural practices and values; and The Village which was designed with culturally-appropriate spaces and bridges Indigenous, eastern, and western health and wellness practices. Those programs were created with input from the Canadore’s First Peoples’ Centre, which provides culturally-based services and supports to students and their families.

- Advertisement -

“Indigenous students are very diverse and come from unique circumstances and communities,” said Mary Wabano, Director of Academic Operations and Business Development and Director of the First Peoples’ Centre at Canadore.  “Learners come to postsecondary education to study in disciplines that appeal to their interests and goals, our quality programs are reflective of the College’s commitment to providing quality, culturally safe learning environments.”

“Our holistic services are designed to support not only our students but to support our students within their family units,” added Wabano. “Our unique approaches are built on Indigenous values and principles of family, community, and healthy relationships.”

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading