North Bay OPP charged its 25th impaired driver over the weekend.
Officers were alerted to reports of a driver swerving on the road near Callander early Sunday morning. They stopped the vehicle once it reached the North Bay area.
Once police spoke with the driver, they issued an arrest for impaired driving.
The 26-year-old driver was charged with:
· Operation While Impaired – Alcohol and Drugs contrary to section 320.14(1)(a) of the Criminal Code (CC) and
· Operation While Impaired – Blood Alcohol Concentration (80 Plus) contrary to section 320.14(1)(b) of the CC.
The driver’s vehicle was impounded for seven days and is facing a 90-day license suspension.
The accused was released on an appearance notice and is scheduled to appear in court in September.
Out of the 25 impaired drivers in 2020 by the North Bay Detachment
· Seven drivers were charged with impaired by drug
· 80% of the persons charged were male
· 26% of the persons charged were between 20 and 29 years of age
· 36% of the incidents were traffic complaints, made by members of the public
· The time of day was equal throughout the day
· The day of the week that had the most persons charged was Monday with 24%
If you suspect that someone is driving or about to drive impaired by alcohol or drugs, police urge you to call 9-1-1 to report it.