Listen Live
Listen Live
HomeNews'Smile Cookies' sales to be donated to Nipissing Serenity Hospice

‘Smile Cookies’ sales to be donated to Nipissing Serenity Hospice

Tim Hortons’ annual Smile Cookies campaign will be supporting the Nipissing Serenity Hospice this year. 

Gil Pharand, Executive Director of the hospice centre, is happy to be chosen by local Tim Hortons owners as the recipient of the 24th edition of the campaign. 

“It feels great. The Tim Hortons brand is fantastic. The owners locally are great in the community and it’s a great thing for us. We’re thankful and we’re grateful,” Pharand said. 

From September 14-20, the full $1 cost of Tim Hortons Smile Cookies purchased in North Bay will be donated to Nipissing Serenity Hospice. 

- Advertisement -

The Smile Cookie campaign will coincide with the centre’s Hike from Home for Hospice fundraiser – an event that urges participants to collect donations and then participate in physical activity alongside family on Thanksgiving weekend. 

For the past couple of years, Nipissing Serenity Hospice has been raising funds for a new building, which they were able to move into in January. Pharand says that fundraising is now a little different after they achieved their goal. 

“This is the first time we’re doing something when we have the building in place and the services are in operation,” he said. 

Nipissing Serenity Hospice receives 60 percent of its funding from the government, meaning that it has to make up the remaining 40 percent through fundraising. 

Pharand says that all the money that’s raised through their efforts gets put directly back into the hospice centre. 

“We have staff, we have the building, we have fundraising programs, we have care taking place – all of these things have to be funded. That community and private support is big for us,” he explained. 

And Pharand knows that the North Bay community is a supportive one. 

“Being in this community and being in this region, it’s a very generous community. It’s such a giving area – always step up to the plate and help out. Not only us, but other charities,”

With the new building opening in January, Nipissing Serenity Hospice has spent most of the time in its new facility under pandemic regulations. Pharand jokes that “it’s almost the only world we know,” adding that he hopes to maintain the positive momentum gained in the building’s first year. 

“Since January, we’ve had over 50 residents come through here and there’s been some amazing stories and some amazing experiences,” Pharand said. 

The local Tim Hortons owners are also looking forward to supporting the hospice centre. 

“Communities coming together during these difficult times is more important than ever. We are excited to work with our local charity partner, Nipissing Serenity Hospice, to raise as much as possible to support their local programs. We encourage all of our guests throughout our annual Smile Cookie week to support Nipissing Serenity Hospice by purchasing a freshly-baked Smile Cookie at Tim Hortons for just $1,” the owners state in a media release. 

Nipissing Serenity Hospice will be accepting pre-orders for cookies until September 11 at 3 pm. Pharand says that they will deliver if they receive an order of six dozen or more. The preorders can be placed by calling the hospice centre or visiting

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading