It was a tense time in Copper Cliff Thursday morning near Sudbury. Just after 6 a.m. Thursday a hazardous gas escaped from the Vale acid plant in Copper Cliff prompting a Level 3 emergency.
Residents were told to stay inside and to turn off any devices that can suck in air from the outside like air conditioners. Police identified the gas as nitrogen oxide and nitrogen dioxide which can cause breathing problems but also death in extreme cases.
The gas has since dissipated and residents can once again leave their homes. The leak took place at the plant`s smelter just as it was going through a maintenance shutdown so production isn`t affected.
There are no indications that the hazardous gas hurt anyone.
Photo credit: Supplied