Five new rules of the road come into effect today for Ontario Drivers.
1. Distracted driving will now come with a minimum fine of $490 plus three demerit points. Novice drivers who are caught texting and driving will also have their license suspended for 30 days, and on a second offence, 90.
2. The “move over” rule now applies to drivers passing a tow truck as well as emergency vehicles.
3. Cyclists must have lights or reflectors on their bike or they could face a $110 fine.
4. Drivers who open their doors in the pathway of a cyclist, also referred to as dooring, will face a minimum fine of $365.
5. Drivers must leave a one metre distance between cyclists on the road, or face a $110 fine and two demerit points.