â–º Listen Live
â–º Listen Live
HomeNewsSuspected drugs found after high school lockdown

Suspected drugs found after high school lockdown

The North Bay Police Service has arrested one person on drug charges in relation to a hold-and-secure at Chippewa Secondary School in September.

On September 23, police and emergency services responded to a medical emergency at the high school, causing a hold-and-secure as emergency crews blocked off the bus entrance.

The police investigation says that three young people needed medical attention at the high school. The investigation found that one of the young people, who is not a student at the high school, had trafficked what is suspected to be Xanax to students off of school grounds. The medical emergency was in relation to students taking Xanax pills. Police have confirmed that they are okay.

Officers seized 11 tablets of suspected Xanax as a result of the investigation.

- Advertisement -

Less than a week later, one young person was arrested and charged with one count of trafficking a controlled substance. The person has been released from police custody and will appear in North Bay court on November 18.

Police say this shows the value of a close working relationship between school personnel, first responders and the school liaison officer. They say it also shows the dangers of using prescription drugs when not under the direction of a medical doctor.

They add that parents should be aware that schools, police and other first responders have protocols in place for lockdowns, hold and secure situations and shelter in place.  Schools practice the protocols and in September’s instance, a hold and secure was a reaction that assisted first responders in providing medical assistance in a safe environment for everyone.

Police say these tactics are done with the safety and privacy of the students and teachers in mind.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading