A North Bay man is reporting he was drugged and robbed by a woman he met online.
North Bay police are investigating the incident which took place on Friday. Police say the man met the woman through an online dating ad at a private residence.
The man was allegedly drugged, with an undisclosed amount of money being taken from him.
Police believe the woman was not from the North Bay area.
Cst. John Schultz says the incident is an example of how crime can happen to anyone.
“I would think that a woman would be more fearful of sexual assault,” said Schultz in reference to online dating. ”But certainly, you’re not immune to anything.”
The North Bay Police Service has the following tips for people using online dating services:
- Do Your Research – use a search engine to do a quick search of the person.
- Do a video chat or a telephone chat before your first date. Get to know the person, not the profile they provided.
- Don’t provide too much personal information to your new acquaintance.
- Drive yourself or take public transportation to your first meeting.
- A public place is the best place to meet and make sure you tell a trusted friend or family member the details ahead of time.
The police investigation into the matter is still ongoing.