Listen Live
Listen Live
HomeNewsHelping elementary students understand treaties and the treaty relationship

Helping elementary students understand treaties and the treaty relationship

The Anishinabek Nation has launched a new online elementary treaty education resource.

“Ezhi-nawending: How we are Related” is a resource that builds on the existing “We are all Treaty People” elementary teacher’s kit. 

Reg Niganobe, Anishinabek Nation Grand Council Chief, says it’s important to offer content and activities to tell their history, in a fun way, to engage and help young students and learners understand the importance of treaties and the treaty relationship. 

He says that’s especially true with the Robinson-Huron Treaty Annuities case in the news and the courts right now. 

- Advertisement -

“It’s important to understand that if children learn at an early age about treaties, the treaty relationship and First Nations history, there’s greater understanding and discussions that take place in classrooms and in society, in general,” Niganobe says. 

This new online resource includes animation and videos as well as interactive games, a virtual escape room, mapping, and trivia games. 

Kelly Crawford, Treaty Educator and the author of the “We are all Treaty People” teacher’s guide, says there has been a fear about getting the information wrong in the past and this will help both students and educators. 

“I’ll give you an example if they’re in the classroom and they’re talking about treaties, and a student asks how many treaties there are in Ontario, we want to be able to support our educators to have the knowledge to be able to answer that question,” she says. 

“This resource is a good way to bring those voices of our knowledge keepers and our elders into the classroom,” Crawford adds. 

The resource is now live on their website: http://www.anishinabek.ca/education-resources/

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading