Listen Live
Listen Live
HomeNewsLocal school board offering subsidized PSW training

Local school board offering subsidized PSW training

A partnership between a local school board and Cassellholme will lead to subsidized career training.

Near North District School Board (NNDSB) is partnering with the home to provide Personal Support Worker (PSW) training in a living classroom environment.

Participants in the program will do their theoretical learning in a classroom at Cassellholme, then be able to apply those skills on the floor of the long-term care home, without having to wait for theory work to end before experiencing placement.

Supported by the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Health, the student costs for this specialty program will be subsidized. Successful students of this program will become fully qualified as a PSW. PSWs are employed in many care sectors such as home care and assisted living and in varied long-term care facilities.

- Advertisement -

NNDSB is aiming for the new year to begin this program. Registration is planned for January with an expected start of February 2022.

The board says it hopes to help fill a growing demand for trained PSWs and to provide people 18 years of age and older with an “exciting” career path. NNDSB says it will work closely with community partners to establish a hands-on program, inclusive of placements, in partnered long-term care facilities.

People who do not currently possess their Grade 12 are also eligible. This unique program allows NNDSB to support students in completing their OSSD in tandem with this program. If you are interested, you can request an educational assessment by contacting Vice-Principal Sarah Spence at Laurentian Learning Centre, 705-472-5419.

“Providing this type of opportunity is extremely important to the Near North community in that it serves adult students who need that leg up to a diploma and a rewarding career with many opportunities for growth,” said Craig Myles, NNDSB Director of Education. “The program supports an emergent and vital need for the Near North region. We are proud to offer programs that support students and respond to a community need.”

Spaces are limited. Anyone interested should plan to attend one of the two following information sessions: Nov. 16 at 1 p.m. online or Nov. 18 at 6 p.m. online. (Teams meeting information is hyperlinked.)

A PSW looks after the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of someone who is not able to do so themselves, frequently in the elderly population. The main responsibilities of a PSW include ensuring the patient has healthy and nutritious meals, helping with daily tasks and working with an interdisciplinary team to ensure the best quality of care.

NNDSB is seeking partnerships with local long-term care homes in all regions of the board to re-engage learners who are 18+ interested in training to become a PSW. Any long-term care homes interested in partnering should contact Liana Blaskievich, NNDSB’s Officer Corporate Affairs at 705-472-8170 ext. 5056 or [email protected].

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading