Listen Live
Listen Live
HomeNewsNNDSB expecting more students next fall

NNDSB expecting more students next fall

Enrollment is expected to increase by just over three percent next year at the Near North District School Board (NNDSB). 

Projections include an added 141 elementary students and 161 secondary students.  

As a result, NNDSB says there were no teacher layoffs this spring. 

The board has approved its $168 million budget for the 2022-2023 school year, with a surplus of nearly $63,000.  

- Advertisement -

“Moving forward, our board has endorsed a 2022-23 budget that will continue to move the board solidly forward with many positive enhancements,” says Jay Aspin, Board Chair.  “Among the most notable for the coming year will be the consolidation of three elementary schools to a new Fricker elementary school in North Bay, and the consolidation of two elementary schools with an existing high school to build a combined K-12 school in Parry Sound.”

$1.8 million in one-time funding through the COVID-19 Learning Recovery Fund will provide temporary staffing supports for learning recovery, the

implementation of the first year of de-streamed Grade 9, deliver remote learning, supports for special education and more. 

Transportation is one area that shows a deficit of $1.3 million, which would only be reduced by $300,000 if the board receives a full two percent increase from the province. 

Along with increases in funding for non-staff operations like hydro, natural gas and ventilation systems, the NNDSB says there is a significant increase in funding for mental health.

It’s up from just over $100,000 to more than $300,000. 

Funding is also included for labour negotiations with collective agreements expiring on Aug. 31, 2022.  

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading