Listen Live
Listen Live
HomeNewsPremier Road fire causes plenty of smoke damage

Premier Road fire causes plenty of smoke damage

A tenant has been charged with disabling a smoke alarm after a late morning fire on the 900 block of Premier Road.  

That from Deputy Fire Chief Greg Saunders after city fire crews responded around 11:30 am Friday and extinguished a fire in one of the bedrooms.  He says no one was home at the time and the cause has been determined to be careless discarding of smoking materials.  

Saunders says there was significant smoke damage to the home but very little from the fire because crews were able to get it under control quickly.  

In a release, North Bay Fire and Emergency Services says careless smoking is a leading cause of fires and fire fatalities in Ontario. 

- Advertisement -

They’re offering some safe smoking practices to reduce the risk of a fire:
– Smoke outside and away from combustible materials
– Extinguish smoking materials fully and soak in water prior to disposal
– Be extra cautious smoking while drinking alcohol or taking medication
– Never empty the contents of an ashtray into a garbage bin without ensuring everything is properly extinguished
– Never smoke in bed
– Keep lighters and matches out of children’s reach

Saunders says disabling a smoke alarm carries a fine of $360.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading