City fire officials report significant damage after a fire on the 500 block of McKeown Avenue around 5 pm Saturday.
Greg Saunders, Deputy Fire Chief says all stations were dispatched with smoke and flames visible from a balcony on the second floor of the building when they arrived on the scene.
“The fire alarm system was activated, and residents were in the process of evacuating the building,” he says. “Firefighters from station 2 entered the building and entered the unit that was on fire and were able to quickly extinguish the fire which was on the balcony.”
He says there were no injuries and Fire Prevention determined the cause to be careless disposal of smoking materials.
Saunders also says the tenant of the unit is being charged with disabling the hardwired smoke alarm in the unit, which carries a fine of $360.