â–º Listen Live
â–º Listen Live
HomeNewsCity crossing guards celebrated

City crossing guards celebrated

Our city’s crossing guards are being celebrated today.

The City of North Bay, in partnership with the North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit (NBDSHU), the Nipissing-Parry Sound Student Transportation Services (NPSTS) and members of the community, celebrated the approximately 20 crossing guards who help keep students safe every day with a reception at City Hall.

“Each and every school day there are crossing guards in North Bay who work in all kinds of weather to ensure safe travel for students and other pedestrians,” said Mayor Peter Chirico. “Please join us today in showing them our appreciation and support.”

The guards, who are employed through the City of North bay’s Crossing Guard Program, were recognized for their service and presented with certificates of appreciation.

- Advertisement -

The City also matched contributions made by the NBPSDHU and NPSSTS to provide the crossing guard program with several new lightweight, hand-held flashing stop signs. The new signs will increase visibility and help to provide better protection for crossing guards, students and other pedestrians.

“To each and every one of you, thank you. We’re going to encourage the public to make sure they honk, they give you a wave and say hello to you. Because you provide such an important service to all of us, not just the kids who are going to school,” added Mayor Chirico.

“It falls right into place in our travel to school safely strategy,” says NPSTS Executive Director Chuck Seguin. “Not every student takes transportation. A lot of them walk. There are spots [in the city] where they absolutely need that trust and assistance to cross safely. These crossing guards to a tremendous job day in, day out, no matter the weather. […] They’re very committed to what they do, and it’s tremendous to see the city recognize them.”

“Evidence shows that crossing guards help to improve safety and model safe crossing behaviours for youth,” said Shannon Bird, Community Health Promoter at the Health Unit. “Crossing guards are an important piece of the active travel puzzle which in turn improves air quality, physical activity metrics, community connections and reduced traffic congestion. On behalf of the Health Unit, I extend a huge thank you to the crossing guards in our community.”

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading