Listen Live
Listen Live
HomeNewsHonours for NNDSB literacy team and Chippewa’s Terry Fox Run

Honours for NNDSB literacy team and Chippewa’s Terry Fox Run

The literacy team at the Near North District School Board has won a Dyslexia Canada Educational Excellence Award.  

Officials say the award celebrates exceptional dedication within school communities in supporting students with dyslexia.  

“It is an honour to receive this acknowledgement from Dyslexia Canada,” says K-12 Student Achievement and Well-Being Principal, Stephen Krause. “I am so very proud of the members of our literacy team and the collaboration they engage in alongside educators across our system every day. However, this award is also a recognition of our district and all who work in it, especially our K-12 educators as they dive deeper into their learning and work in school teams to make continual shifts in the literacy programming and delivery of instruction to meet the needs of all students most effectively.” 

The team includes Krause, Lorianne Haslehurst, Amy Bartlett Gibson, Genive Di Bernardo, Lisa Rogers, Michael Watson and Rebekah Felsman.  

- Advertisement -

They will be presented with the award at the International Dyslexia Association (IDA) Ontario Literacy and Learning Conference in Toronto on Saturday. 

Meantime, the Terry Fox Foundation is recognizing the 2023 Terry Fox Run at Chippewa Secondary School.  

The event raised $14,718 which was the 11th highest among all high schools in Ontario.  

“We are so proud and impressed with how Chippewa’s staff and students accomplished this feat through fundraising, fun school challenges, spirit assemblies and a barbecue this past fall,” says Chris Cassidy, coordinator. “Cancer affects us all, and we know these efforts are helping achieve Terry’s vision of ending the scourge of cancer.” 

In a letter, the Foundation says the Chippewa school community has shown extraordinary effort and come together to carry on Terry’s legacy.  

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading