Listen Live
Listen Live
HomeNewsFunding for mental health and addictions services to support students locally

Funding for mental health and addictions services to support students locally

The province is investing $5 million towards mental health and addictions services in primary care across 10 post-secondary schools, including locally.  

Funding is going to Nipissing University, which is partnering with Canadore College, to support unique “back-to-campus” services for students in hospice care for acute and chronic mental health conditions. 

The province says mental health projects will provide learners in underserved communities in northeastern, eastern and south-central Ontario with care from trained mental health professionals.  

“This is Mental Health Week in Canada, and our government recognizes how essential mental health care is in setting postsecondary students up for success,” said Jill Dunlop, Minister of Colleges and Universities. “This funding will ensure those students in underserved communities can receive the high-quality mental health care they need, directly from their school.” 

- Advertisement -

The investment will support hiring nurse practitioners, social workers and others to provide mental health and addictions services to treat and care for students.  

Funding will also fill large gaps in services and even provide clinical mental health care in places where none currently exist. 

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading